Who is Ben?
Good day, my name is Ben Assado, I’m from Iran, lived for a while in Germany and New Zealand has been my permanent home since 2003.
Where Do I Live/Work?
After purchasing a forest block of land on Motu Aotea (Great Barrier Island, New Zealand) in 2011 – (click here for more about GBI) – I left a career as a scientist in Auckland and started an adventurous, natural and new life.
Here, I live off the grid like all other 900 permanent residents and continue to establish a form of wealth that counts to me. A lifestyle free of debt, of consumerism, of mass media, of the noise of cities and society, of unnatural dependencies and distractions. I seek a simpler life really, one in accord with the seasons, one, in which I can enjoy the bounties of nature and be free.
What is Great Barrier Photography About?
My photography developed from a hobby and way of documenting the beauty of Aotea to passion and profession. This year (2017), I decided to establish my simple business idea:
- find a niche, one that stands out and that will always generate interest and positive emotions
- combine it with a process that requires skill and dedication
- consistently do a good job, do this in an honest way and the audience will grow
- create passive income by establishing an available repository of work and products
- be your own boss, allow for enough time and remain dedicated and committed
- keep your overheads low, don’t put yourself into a desperate financial situation
- believe in yourself, be truthful, work hard and learn how to do all aspects of the business well
- most importantly, Do It!, give it a real and good go
Great Barrier Photography is my honest way of offering a valuable, time-less and independent product (free from endorsement, advertisement and politics), and the attempt of making a modest living off it.
- Direct download of royalty-free photographs for private and light commercial use subject to the STANDARD IMAGE LICENSE. An Extended Image License is available on request.
- Commissioned Work: From impressive, exclusive photos of Aotea for publication, event photography to architectural. Are you selling your property or operating an accommodation or retreat business on the Barrier? Often photos say more than many words, so let me capture the images that will enhance your bookings and business. My services include helping you with the relevant IT stuff.
- Prints, workshops/tours are available upon request.
For all inquiries contact me via this contact form.
Thanks, Ben Assado